Friday, January 8, 2010

Can I Give Up Old Media TV?

So we've been hating on our cable company for the last few months. Nobody ever likes their cable company, and certainly felt cornered into the choice by our love of TiVo, which doesn't work with any other content provider available locally, no AT&T U-verse, no DirecTV. Some software update seems to have put TimeWarner and our Series 3 TiVo into conflict and channels have started randomly vanishing, destroying the one good thing about our cable, it was a least reliable. Apparently it is time to re-evaluate our media choices.

Now a little context, I'm a TV junkie, I read a lot of television criticism and industry coverage. Junkie, but not mindlessly watching. As a stay at home, I have it on for company a fair amount. I own more TiVos than I do actual televisions.

The discussion has commenced about going without cable. In the past when it has come up, Y dismissed it out of hand, which annoyed me, because he watches very little of the TV. We haven't pulled the plug just yet, we were waiting for the end of college football season and we are considering waiting for the Winter Olympics. This gives us a month or so to find new sources for all our old shows.

At the moment we are completely bundled, if we pull the plug we will let the landline go with it and just have broadband and cell phones.

No comments: