Sunday, January 24, 2010

Garden Bug has bitten

So we had a whole week, well, 5 days, of honest to god real rain. This gave us the most glorious weekend with cool, fresh, damp air and snow covered mountains under clear blue skies. Despite the lengthy lists of projects and chores that are underway or waiting to start, I decided to take advantage of the lovely weather to pull the dandelions out of the planter of succulents in the back yard. It is our only spot of green in the cement and rock wasteland of our backyard. Pools are fun, but a little hard looking. Also, the previous owners seemed to hate all plant life.

The dirt is all loose, damp and inspiring. The jade plants are weed free in no time, so I just keep going. There are yards more of weeds, going along the abandoned built in planter with the saddest, sandiest, debris filled soil. There are ten feet of planter before it drops down a level. I think I'm just clearing out the weeds, but the digging is so easy and that is so rare, I just keep going. The top six inches of the whole upper level is gone. The first four feet, I actually dug a whole foot down and pulled the dirt out of the planter.

If I can get the other 6 feet removed before it all dries and hardens, or more rain comes and I discover I have built a water feature, I could have started my often dreamed of vegetable garden in a timely manner. I already had potting soil in the garage, so I picked up compost and a soaker hose. Next stop, reading up on vertical gardening and planting schedules.

The kid has been making vegetable garden noises. The timing seems good,but maybe we'll put his cauliflower in the earthbox and save the planter for peas and cucumbers.

No comments: